PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS, PSP and PC, Blu Rays and DVDs from Ehub

Wednesday 9 March 2011

My common sense has abdicated it's responsibility, Sausage and Root Veg Hotpot,

Good day beautiful people. I once made the mistake of letting the weird little Xbox kid choose the coming weeks menu for the housemates and myself (I do like to involve him in matters of the commune from time to time). Alas, yet again, my common sense has abdicated it's responsibility to monitor the words that breed like adders in my throat and to keep my mouth shut when the words that explode through my lips will, knowingly, have a detrimental effect on myself or others.

I pushed a blank piece of writing paper under his door and retreated into the darkness of the landing. The emanating sound of crackling gunfire and the bloodcurdling screams of people having their throats ripped out and inners consumed by blood thirsty zombies ceased. Five minutes later, the folded writing paper was pushed back under the door. I picked it up and read his menu;

Monday      -    Spaghetti Bolognese.....OK


Tuesday      -    Lasagne..................OK, pasta again


Wednesday -    Cannelloni................OH NO!!!


Thursday     -    Pasta Bake..............HE'S DONE IT AGAIN..BLOODY PASTA BOY


Friday          -   Pizza.....................AAAAAAAARGH

How am I going to confess my revisiting stupidity to the other housemates?

So, this weeks poll is to decide, through the democratic process (that has been brought into question by a certain 'hacker'), whether I should honour the weird little Xbox kids menu request for next week to the disservice of all the other fellow housemates...and myself.

Anyhows, my confession can wait until I have filled their bellies with a comforting sausage and root veg hotpot. Swedes and parsnips are coming to the end of their season and wont be back to their best till August, so I like to use them in a hearty stew whilst they are still at their best and the days are still cold.


Sausage and Root Veg Hotpot

3 tbsp olive oil
8 good quality sausages (I always buy the butchers homemade)
2 large red onions, finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1 swede, peeled and cut into chunks
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
300ml red wine
400g tin chopped tomatoes
A few fresh rosemary sprigs
200ml chicken stock, hot
Handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped

Heat 1 tbsp of the oil over a medium heat in a large pan, then brown the sausages all over. set aside, then heat another 1 tbsp of oil and gently fry the red onions for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes, then set aside with the sausages.

Heat the remaining oil and quickly fry the root veg for 5 minutes until starting to colour, then set aside with the other ingredients.

Pour the wine into the pan and bubble until reduced by half, return the other ingredients to the pan, then add the tomatoes, rosemary and chicken stock.

Season well, then bring to the boil, cover with a lid and gently simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bubble for a further 10 minutes to reduce the sauce. Sprinkle with the parsley.

Serves 4 and will freeze.


Love, peace and don't let common sense abandon you

                                                 Cluski

1 comment:

  1. As a parent i feel you are duty bound to sit the Xbox child down and explain the theory behind dehydration, hydration and then subsequent dehydration of pasta and the likelyhood of a football sized bowl obstruction,which although possibly appealing in a strange biological research sort of way certainly has potential to put house and housemates in extreme peril.

    ReplyDelete